Source Article: "The Colored Churches of Frankfort" by Dr. E. E. Underwood

Publication: The State Journal (Frankfort, KY) • Saturday, October 3, 1936

Transcribed By: Anne Holder Lee

Church History & Organization

St. John African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church was organized in 1839, with its initial house of worship located on Lewis Street. Its first pastor was Rev. George Harlan.

Building & Property Milestones

  • 1839: Congregation organized on Lewis Street under Rev. George Harlan.
  • 1893: The sanctuary on Clinton Street was erected under the pastorate of Rev. James M. Turner.
  • c. 1922: An Annex building was constructed containing a Sunday School room, pastor's study, and functional space for church activities.
  • Parsonage: The congregation owned its official parsonage, located on Lewis Street.

Prominent early pastors included Rev. B. F. Lee (who later became a Bishop in the A.M.E. Church), Rev. G. H. Schaffer, Rev. D. F. Bentley, Rev. P. A. Nichols, Rev. G. F. David, and Rev. J. W. Frazier. As of 1936, the church was pastored by Rev. H. H. Brewer.

Ministers & Pastors (1839–1910)

Minister Name Service Period / Historical Notes
George HarlanFirst pastor (1839)
Moses Pitman
Aaron Green
Reuben Thomas
Henry HendersonServed c. 1850
Anderson Bryant
Jacob Williams
Henry Hensley
William Brown
Henry J. Young
Ross Lee
Jillson Francis
George H. Schaffer
Washington Hill
Crafton Graham
Alfred Newman
C. J. Waters
B. F. LeeLater consecrated as A.M.E. Bishop
J. W. Riley
Charles Herbert
Jesse Henderson
George Steamer
Levi Evans
D. S. Bentley
J. W. Asbury
J. F. Thomas
G. H. Burk
George W. Bryant
Emmanuel Wilson
J. M. TurnerPastor during 1893 sanctuary construction
J. W. Frazier
P. A. Nichols
G. F. David
J. M. Holt
J. Allen VineyServed 1907–1909
T. A. ThompsonServed 1910
← Back to Church Directory