Source Material: Transcribed from local church records and The Frankfort Roundabout (Nov 24, 1883)

Transcribed By: Anne H. Lee

Church History & Organization

North Fork Baptist Church
North Fork Baptist Church at Switzer, Kentucky.

In April 1801, Thomas Bradley, Elijah, Charity, and Andrew Rogers, alongside Elijah and Conny Anderson—all members of the Forks of Elkhorn Baptist Church—were dismissed to constitute a new congregation up the creek on the north fork of Elkhorn Creek.

Ministers William Hickman and George Eve established the church at Switzer (initially known as Meeting House Spring) with nineteen original members. The congregation was briefly called Brushy Fork before officially adopting the name North Fork.

Early Ministers: William Hickman, George Eve, Jesse Vawter, John H. Ficklin, and Mordecai Boulware.

Property & Newspaper Notices

  • May 2, 1870: Trustees of North Fork Baptist Church purchased six acres from the Talbott estate, and the present church building was erected on the site that same year.
  • November 24, 1883 (The Frankfort Roundabout): "Switzer News reports: Rev. William Arrowsmith has been called to preach at North Fork Church the coming year."

Historic Church Photographs

Early photograph of North Fork Baptist Church, possible early 1900s
Early church photograph (date unknown, possibly early 1900s).

North Fork Baptist Church Cemetery (Switzer Cemetery)

The North Fork Baptist Church Cemetery (most commonly called the Switzer Cemetery) is located directly adjacent to the church building.

The oldest legible inscribed headstone is that of Mollie D. Hockensmith (born November 25, 1844; died October 31, 1872).

Cemetery Research Project Note:

While early formal burial registers are non-existent, over 1,100 burials have been confirmed to date through tombstone transcriptions, death certificates, newspaper obituaries, and private family records.

← Back to Church Directory