Source History: One Hundred and Fifty Years of History of North Benson Baptist Church by Mrs. Jean Redding (April 1975; updated July 1989)

History Committees: Jean Redding, Sue Snyder, Pansy Powers, Karne Hukell, Debra Sudduth, Mary Ellen Samples

Condensed & Submitted By: Harold W. Rarden

Church History & Structures

Located on Devil's Hollow Road approximately six miles from Frankfort, North Benson Baptist Church has worshiped in three distinct sanctuary buildings across its history:

  • First Church (1825): Organized on the hill above the present church site.
  • Second Church (1847): Built on the current lot facing Big Benson Creek (which served as the road at the time). Built on land acquired from Landon and Elizabeth Sneed. When torn down, portion of its lumber was given to Deacon Judge Dan Moore to build a barn.
  • Third Church (Present): Situated between the creek and the modern road. An addition dedicated to the memory of Mrs. Homer Brewer (pastor's wife) was built in 1971, replacing the old assembly hall removed by Jim Powers.

Landon & Elizabeth Sneed Land Deed (February 13, 1847)

"This indenture made and entered into the 13th day February, 1847 between Landon Sneed and Elizabeth Sneed, his wife of the county of Franklin and State of KY of the one part and David Williams, John Carter and Anderson Powers, Trustees of the Baptist Church of Christ at North Benson... witnesseth that the said Landon Sneed and wife hath this day bargained and sold... for the sum of one dollar... all that tract or parcel of land lying on the waters of North Benson beginning at a sycamore tree on the north west side of the north fork of Big Benson running thence down the creek N 51 E 10 poles to an Elm... containing 96 poles of land with the appurtenances..."

— Signed: Landon Sneed • Test: Lewis Sneed and A. Wilson (Recorded March 1847)

Local Lore & Mounting Blocks: Arch Moore (whose father came from Virginia in 1827) also donated land to the church. Two large white stones in front of the Sunday School rooms served as horse mounting stile blocks for early female attendees.

The "Benson Flood" of 1896

Big Benson Creek running beside the church experienced a devastating flood in 1896. Judge Dan Moore's daughter and two granddaughters drowned in the local Tollgate house, and relatives of Mrs. Pansy Powers also perished in what locals long remembered as the "Benson Flood."

Early Pastoral Succession & Biographies

Tenure / Called Pastor Name Biographical & Service Highlights
Early Pioneer Era William Hickman, Jr. Son of pioneer preacher Wm. Hickman, Sr. Born in VA 1768; came to KY 1784. Ministered over 40 years to South Benson and preached monthly at North Benson. Died Dec 24, 1845.
July 1833 W. C. Blanton Born Feb 3, 1803. Licensed in 1832 and ordained at solicitation of Lebanon Church. Served both North Benson and Lebanon until ill health.
1882 William Ira Smith Called to preach at North Benson in 1882.
Oct 1883 – Jul 1884 L. P. Hulette Resigned July 1884; succeeded by Brother Burton.
Late 1800s John S. Wilson Born in Franklin County mid-1800s. Known for zealous preaching and refuting Campbellism.
1904 (Re-called) John Henry Burdin Born in Paris, KY May 22, 1850; died near Forks of Elkhorn July 1922. Blacksmith turned minister; former chaplain of State Reformatory in Frankfort.
1905 James Murray Forbes Taylor Called following Bro. Burdin's declination for an additional year.
May 1907 W. E. Lowe Native of New York. (First church organ acquired during his tenure in 1908).

Founders, Messengers & Deacons

Founders & Early Supporters

Landon Sneed, J. D. Robinson, David Williams, W. A. Powers, James Truel, E. A. W. Roberts, Elijah Lea, Thorton Hale, Corbin Hale, the five Sudduth brothers, W. W. Wilhoith, Leroy Wooldridge, and members of the Hewlett and Moore families.

Messengers & Officers (Starting 1882)

Wm. Anderson, P. R. Pattie, L. P. Hulette, P. H. Roberts, Wm. Ira Smith, J. P. Moore, Wm. Rodgers, Andrew Jackson Hulette, Joseph Sheets, Anderson Powers, John Sudduth, Calvin Sheets, James P. Conway, Frank Hulette, P. H. Hulette, J. D. Moore, Oliver Travis, Francis Goins, Thadeous McAndrew, J. A. Hulette, O. B. Wade, Thomas Moore, Robert Smith, A. A. Hulette, S. A. Hulette, James Hulette, E. A. W. Roberts, Wm. Moore, H. J. Hulette, F. M. Hulette, George Singleton, Polk Conway, T. D. Moore, James Hodge Martin, S. J. Moore, James Stockton, James Morris, Charlotte Suttles, Minnie Moore, J. J. Moore.

Deacons (1912–1930)

C. B. Matthews, H. T. Moore, Lester Moore, E. L. Sheets, Ira Hulette, S. J. Moore, Harry Moore, Joe Moore, Nevelle Stevens, Elwood Hulette.

1904 Congregational Statistics (Recorded by Clerk James H. Martin):

  • Church Membership: 225 members
  • Sunday School Enrollment: 125 members (Supt. James H. Martin, Asst. Thomas D. Moore, Sec/Treas Lottie Suttle)
  • Meeting House Value: $1,500.00
  • Pastor's Annual Salary: $214.50 (Total Expenses: $237.50)
← Back to Church Directory