Source History: History of the Evergreen Baptist Church, 1884–1988 by Mary W. Strange

Transcribed By: Anne H. Lee

Early Roots & South Benson Baptist Church (1801)

The origins of Evergreen Baptist Church trace back well before its official organization. In 1801, members of the Forks of Elkhorn Church constituted the South Benson Baptist Church.

During the leadership of Alexander Campbell, the South Benson congregation experienced a major division. Many members departed to join the Bridgeport Christian Church, while others formed the Buck Lick Church in Anderson County.

Following the split, South Benson Baptist Church saw a decline in membership—reporting only 40 members in 1889—and was officially dissolved by 1912. The original brick church building located at Evergreen and South Benson Roads was later converted into a tobacco barn.

Organization as New South Benson & Growth

In January 1884, twenty-three members gathered at the Bridgeport home of John Jenkins and his wife, Rose (Scofield) Jenkins, whose family held land along what became Scofield Lane off Cardwell Lane. On January 5, 1884, officers were elected, a minister was called, and New South Benson Baptist Church was officially constituted.

Rose Jenkins donated a church lot located at the corner of Cardwell Lane and the Old Harrodsburg Road. For the first year, the newly formed congregation held services at the Franklin Presbyterian Church in Bridgeport.

Key Building & Property Milestones

  • 1885: The first sanctuary was completed on the donated land. In November 1885, the congregation officially changed its name to Evergreen Baptist Church.
  • 1889: Membership grew to 74 members.
  • 1920: Multiple Sunday School rooms were added to the back and side of the sanctuary.
  • 1952: A major building addition was completed, adding additional Sunday School rooms, a kitchen, and a fellowship hall.
  • 1970: A new, larger sanctuary was constructed to accommodate the growing membership.

The 1974 Tornado & Modern Sanctuary

On April 3, 1974, a devastating tornado outbreak struck Kentucky and heavily impacted the Farmdale community. The church structure and surrounding property were completely destroyed. The congregation rallied to rebuild, erecting the modern sanctuary that stands today.

← Back to Church Directory