Historical Record: Disciples of Christ Congregation History

Transcribed By: Anne H. Lee

Church History & Sanctuary Buildings

On December 2, 1832, Philip Slater Fall, with the assistance of John T. Johnson and just seven original members, officially organized the congregation. Prior to erecting their first dedicated house of worship in 1842, members met in rented buildings or private residences.

The 1842 sanctuary—considered one of the most magnificent structures in Frankfort—was destroyed by fire in 1870.

Following the loss, Mrs. Emily Tubman provided the necessary funds to construct and fully furnish a new church. Rebuilt in 1872 at a cost of $26,000, the second church building was formally dedicated on August 11, 1872 in a ceremony conducted by Reverend Isaac Everett.

Charter Members (December 2, 1832)

Name Role / Notes
Elizabeth BACON Charter Member
Ambrose W. DUDLEY Charter Member
Eliza T. DUDLEY Charter Member
Nancy T. FALL Charter Member
Phillip Slater FALL Charter Member & Organizing Minister
O. L. LEONARD Charter Member
Elias B. MEYERS Charter Member

Pastoral Succession (1832–1911)

Philip Slater Fall served as regular pastor from 1832 until 1857. During his pastorate, several interim ministers supplied the pulpit:

Year Interim Minister Name
1845 Enos CAMPBELL
1846 L. L. PINKERTON
1848 Samuel PINKERTON
1850 Carroll KENDRICK
1851 T. G. TOMPKINS

Successive Pastors (1858–1911)

In 1858, Reverend W. T. Moore succeeded Reverend Philip Fall as pastor. He was followed by:

Tenure Started Pastor Name
1865 W. S. CRUTCHER
1866 T. N. ARNOLD
1868 Aylett RAINS
1869 J. L. T. HOLLAND
1879 George DARSIE
1905 C. R. HUDSON
1911 Roger T. NOOE
← Back to Church Directory