Source Article: "The Colored Churches of Frankfort" by Dr. E. E. Underwood

Publication: The State Journal (Frankfort, KY) • Saturday, October 3, 1936

Transcribed By: Anne Holder Lee

Church Organization & History

The Corinthian Baptist Church, located on Mero Street, was officially organized on July 4, 1876. Its first pastor was the Rev. James H. Parrish.

In 1929, under the pastorate of the Rev. W. L. Campbell, an Annex was built containing a Sunday School room downstairs, alongside a pastor's study and seven additional rooms upstairs used for various church activities.

As of 1936, the church was pastored by the Rev. L. V. Jenkins. The congregation also owned its parsonage, located on Murray Street.

Ministers & Pastoral Succession (1876–1910)

Year Installed / Served Minister Name
1876 Rev. James H. Parrish
1879 Rev. C. C. Stumm
1882 Rev. Reuben Straus (Strauss)
Until 1884 Rev. James Mason
1884 Rev. E. Richie
1886 Rev. W. H. Craighead
1890 Rev. William A. Credit
1892 Rev. Benjamin W. Farris
1895 Rev. R. H. C. Mitchell
1896 Rev. W. E. Claybrook
1897 Rev. D. S. Omer
1899 Rev. E. T. Fishback
1902 Rev. F. G. Brookins
1910 Rev. E. J. Jackson
← Back to Church Directory