History Source: Written by Mrs. Leo (Ramona) Slattery

Publication: Taken from the Homecoming Day Program (September 8, 1991)

Submitted By: Harold W. Rarden

Organization & Charter Members (1855)

On May 27, 1855, sixteen people met—probably in a home or a local schoolhouse—and joined by confession a new congregation called Antioch Christian Church. Their leader and organizer is believed to have been William Handy Whittington, a well-known Christian minister in Franklin County who was active in several area churches.

Charter Members • May 27, 1855
Elisha Allen Henrietta Allen
Amanda Ellis Anna Ellis
Louis Ellis Mary Ellis
Rebecca Ellis William O. Ellis
J. P. Louis Margaret Louis
Catherine Moore E. T. Pettit
Mary R. Pettit William N. Pettit
Todd Renick T. A. Sales

The church lot was officially deeded on August 12, 1857 by Frederick and Catherine Roberts to trustees W. O. Ellis, James Keaton, and John H. Smith.

Building & Architectural Customs

"The new building was of the traditional pattern, with two front doors, the right for the women and the left for the men. The pulpit was placed between the doors, so that people entered facing the congregation. Those who could remember that period said it was a most embarrassing custom, but still it had its advantages. Sermons were often two or three hours long but we are told that many people moved in and out rather freely during the services and the only respite for the congregation was in watching them."

— Ermina Jett Darnell, "First 50 Years of Antioch Reviewed"

The original auditorium featured three rows of benches creating two main aisles. Each bench in the longer center section was equipped with a dividing rod near the top and center, designed to keep women seated on the right and men on the left.

In the 1930s, the separate entrance doors were replaced with a single central entrance, and seating was rearranged for one center aisle (the dividing rods had been removed many years prior).

Renovations & Youth Camp Expansion

  • 1938: The original foundation was removed and a new stone foundation was installed.
  • 1952: A full basement and three Sunday School rooms were added.
  • 1968–1969: Major renovation added a baptistry, modern bathrooms, three additional Sunday School classrooms, and a new exterior brick veneer.
  • 1974: By deed dated December 30, 1974, Clayton and Myrtle Goins donated approximately 50 acres on Bark Branch Road for a Christian youth camp. Facilities include a log parsonage, dining hall/kitchen, shower house, and five cabins, serving around 125 young people across five summer camp sessions annually.

Antioch Church of Christ Cemetery

The Antioch Church of Christ Cemetery is located adjacent to the church on Harvieland Road, one-half mile from Highway 421 North. The grounds contain over 300 known graves.

Prominent Surnames Buried Here: Brawner, Chism, Flynn, Goins, Harrod, Hulette, Moore, Penn, Phillips, Pulliam, Quire, Rearden, and others.

Reference Note: For complete tombstone transcriptions, consult "Church and Family Graveyards of Franklin County", published by the Kentucky Genealogical Society (1976).

← Back to Church Directory