This graveyard is located off old U.S. 127 South (Lawrenceburg Road) on the property of Stewart Home School. It lies on the hill in the back of the property. The cemetery is adequate in size to contain twenty or more graves, surrounded by a rock wall that has fallen in areas.

Historical Note: John Pattie (born April 23, 1769, died July 17, 1833) and his wife Lucy Daniel Pattie (died March 9, 1841) are recorded in some sources as buried in this family graveyard on the farm, though their headstones can also be found in the Lower Benson Burying Ground on the Julian Farm on U.S. 60 West (Louisville Road).

Documented Monument Inscriptions

Name Details
Pattie, William February 19, 1810 – December 30, 1883 · Son of John & Lucy Pattie
Pattie, Mary Jane Smart March 23, 1818 – November 27, 1877 · Wife of William Pattie · Daughter of Henry and Phenton Smart

Historical & Family Background

John Pattie married Lucy Daniel on January 3, 1794, in Caroline County, Virginia, before moving to the Bracken-Mason County area and eventually settling in Franklin County around 1820 on land that later became the Kentucky Military Institute and Stewart Home School. His will is recorded in Franklin County Will Book 2, page 54 (written September 14, 1829; proved November Court 1833).

Their children included Polly Pattie Hall, Mahala Pattie Payne, Daniel Pattie, Elizabeth Pattie Monks, William S. Pattie, Thornton Pattie, Henry Pattie, Samuel Pattie, Sarah Bell Pattie, and Preston Pattie.

A 1997 letter in the Pattie surname file at the Kentucky Historical Society references six marked graves, specifically noting Mary Jane Smart Pattie, William Pattie, and William Pattie, Jr. (noted elsewhere as William R. Pattie, infant son of Preston R. and Elizabeth Pattie, who died May 11, 1859).

Source References

← Back to Cemeteries